The Trump administration is preparing to start major immigration enforcement operations in Chicago next week, provoking protests in Los Angeles, sources told CBS News.
Two senior DHS officials confirmed that the administration is preparing to expand the immigration arrest, reflecting the activities in the Los Angeles in the spring.
Sources said that the operation could begin on 5 September.
Los Angeles included armored vehicles, strategic gears and weapons in operations. Sources say that the same strategy is expected to be deployed in Chicago.
In June, Trump National Guard deployed in Los Angeles Amidst mass protests against immigration and customs enforcement works. At that time, Chicago officials said they were told President was sending snow strategic units to Chicago Too.
Chief of Staff Christina Pacion-Jayas said at the time that the city had received the word, strategic teams were given a 48-hour notice to “stand for standing and deploy.”
But those strategic units never physically physically in the city. It was not immediately clear whether this immigration operation is clearly part of immigration enforcement effort or a separate operation.
Sources said that these schemes are different from President Trump’s push in recent weeks to deploy the National Guard in Chicago to fight the crime of the city. Illinois village. JB Pritzkar and Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson have pushed forcefully against those plans, warning Pitzkar Trump earlier this week, “Mr. President, Chicago does not come. You neither want nor need here.”
CBS News Chicago reports Homeland Security Department is interacting with administrators at Naval Session Great Lex Infrastructure and logistic aid for ICE employees aid in immigration efforts in the Chicago region. It was not immediately clear whether those discussions were motivated by the planned increase of immigration enforcement.
The village Pritzkar said that he has not been contacted at all by the Trump administration, nor is there anyone in his administration.
“They are just looking to attack the city of Chicago, not coordinating with law enforcement,” he said at an event on Thursday.
Mayor Johnson said that he had heard the report in the news about the operation, but he nor his office has made any direct communication with the federal government.
The Homeland Security Department issued a statement and issued a statement, “President Trump has been clear: we are going to make our streets and cities reserved. Perforance across the country, DHS law enforcement is arresting and the worst gang members, killers, padophiles, and rapists are working to secure American communities. Re -secured.”
Camillo Montoya-Galvez and Nicole Saganga contributed to this report.