A federal judge in New York denied a proposal by the state of Saudi Arabia to dismiss the trial brought by the families of 9/11 victims, trying to hold the Middle Eastern country responsible for supporting the kidnappers, allowing the suit to proceed.
The ruling ruling is the latest in a long -running case, which demands a case to be responsible for the Saudi government for al -Qaeda attacks, a case that has been Lawyers As a “labyrinth” for the plaintiff.
Saudi Arabia was temporarily rejected in 2015, before the dismissal was overturned by a federal appeal court. While the appeal was pending in 2016, the Congress enacted a law known as justice, against the sponsors of terrorism, which allowed victims of terrorist attacks to prosecute foreign governments and individuals if they provided material assistance to the attackers. It also gave us the jurisdiction over the possible cases filed on injuries and deaths in attacks on American soil.
It is alleged that the members of the Saudi government had some September links. 11 kidnappers have been operated for years. Claims have drawn Valor From Saudi Arabia, a major American ally in the Middle East. Most principles focus on two of the 19 kidnappers: Khalid al-Mahdhar and Nawaf al-Hajmi, who were on the plane crashed in the Pentagon.
A year before the kidnapping, al-Maidhar and Al-Hazmi settled in Los Angeles, where a Saudi man named Omar al-Baumi helped him find an apartment. A 2004 report The 9/11 Commission said that Beomomi coincided with two kidnappers in a restaurant.
But the families of some victims and their lawyers have alleged that Beaumi had deep relations with Saudi Arabia, Federal report Decussified in recent years It is alleged that he had “comprehensive relations” with the Gulf Rajshahi government and was accused of serving as Saudi intelligence officers. FBI is Also investigated Did both the kidnappers help from a recognized Saudi diplomat and Imam Fahd al-Thumri at the Los Angeles Mosque. 9/11 The Commission found no evidence that Thmari helped the kidnappers.
Last year, a “60 minute” report New evidence revealed About Beomomi, which also includes a video referring to a “plan” at some points, to film the entrances of the US Capital and indicate its location relative to the Washington Memorial. Are investigators Long believed Capital Flight 93 may have an intended target, which passengers crashed into a ground in Pennsylvania after the passengers overtook the kidnappers.
Decades ago, investigator A notebook also found In Behami’s house, which seemed to show a drawing of an aircraft and a mathematical equation that could be used to calculate the rate of lineage for a target.
Many of those allegations were raised by the lawyers for the victims of the September 11 attacks. Saudi government lawyers have repeatedly pushed all claims against the country. DismissedIn October 2023, a manhattan judge rejected that request on Thursday.
The US District Judge at the New York George Daniels in the southern district of New York said, “The plaintiff has succeeded in providing appropriate evidence to the court, as as the roles played by Beaumi, Thamari and KSA, as the roles played by Beaumi, Thamari and KSA. Order Thursday. “Although KSA seems to have tried to offer innocent explanation or reference, they are either self-resolved or are not strong enough to overcome the estimate that KSA employed Beomi and Thumherry to assist the kidnappers.”
Daniels wrote that the families and lawyers representing Saudi Arabia disagreed over the purpose of Behumi, it is “undisputed” that Beoumi assisted the kidnappers’ apartments, and signed a lease with them as a guarantor. Daniels stated that it was also found in Beomi’s house with “undisputed” that an airplane drawing, notes and numbers “.
The lawyers representing Saudi Arabia, Daniels wrote, argued that “Beomi’s encounter with the kidnappers, Daniels, Daniels said, the drawing of the airplane was” unrelated to the 9/11 attacks “and” Beomomi’s son is likely to have a possibility related to the high school. [assignments],
Daniels wrote, “All of these are either the attorney speculation that are not in facts, or have been saved from the refusal of themselves or themselves from the pretext or excuse.”
Scene P., a lawyer representing families. Carter said in a statement, “We welcome the court completely and well and are ready to pursue the case for testing.”
Washington, Department of Justice in DC and Saudi Embassy did not immediately respond to the remarks requests.
Jennifer Jacobs contributed to this report.