The focus on air drops in Gaza is a “horrific distraction” that will not reverse the deep starvation crisis of the region, aid agency leaders warned.
The Israeli army said in early Sunday that it aircraft human aid in the Gaza Strip after announcing the human corridors for the United Nations aid convoy.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Jordan are expected to drop the air drop in the coming days, and the UK Prime Minister Kir Stmper has said that the British government is doing “everything we can do” to get assistance to Gaza through air drops.
Ciarán Donnelly of the International Rescue Committee said that the drops of aid can “need to” need to help “volume or quality”.
More than 100 international support organizations and human rights groups have warned of massive starvation in the strip.
The Hamas-Run Gaza Health Ministry on Saturday reported an additional five deaths due to malnutrition, causing a total of 127 after the war started. That number includes 85 children.
The World Food Program has warned that one in three Ghazans are not eating for days at a time and 90,000 women and children are immediately needed as “man -made mass starvation”.
The debate on air drops is mainly due to the failure of aid in entering Gaza through traditional land routes.
Philip Lazarini, head of the United Nations Palestinian refugee agency UNRWA, said on Saturday that the air drop “is expensive, disabled, and even killing hungry citizens” if they become aware.
Lazarini said that her organization was “equal to 6,000 trucks” in her organization, waiting for “green lights” to enter Gaza.
He said that political will requires “raising siege, opening gates and guaranteeing safe movements and dignified access to needy people”.
“Driving is very easy, more effective, faster, cheap and safe through driving ads. It is more dignified to the people of Gaza,” Lazerini wrote.
His comment came before the Israeli announcement that it would establish what it is “called to the nominated human corridors, which enables the safe movement of the United Nations to provide food and therapy.” It did not underline where they would be or how they would work.
Israel says there is no restriction on assistance in Gaza, the first United Nations with a government spokesperson suggests that United Nations is working with Hamas to disrupt the distribution.
The United Nations states that, and says that Israel is hindering its ability to collect assistance inside the Gaza through bureaucracy obstacles.
Hamas denied that this collection was stealing assistance from points. A recent USAID report states that there was no evidence of systematic loot.
This is not the first time the Western and Arab governments have tried to get aid in the air by air.
Last year, Britain’s Royal Air Force provided 110 tonnes of assistance during 10 drops as part of the Jordan -led International Air Alliance.
However, those quantities will be very low to reduce the risks of large -scale starvation being seen in the Gaza, the aid agencies have said.
The BBC analysis found that each of the two million inhabitants of Gaza will require about 160 aircraft to provide enough food for the same meal.
Since last year, the US Central Command (Centcom) figures how their C-130 cargo aircraft gave around 12,650 meals per aircraft.
This would mean that more than 160 flights will be required to provide a single meal for a population of about 2.1 million Gaza.
Jordan is considered about 10 C -130 and UAE about eight.
Many support groups have warned about the dangers of leaving thousands of tons of food on densely populated Gaza.
The Norwegian Refugee Council of the Refugee Council said that people were “drowning” because they tried to gather this aid that had blown into the Mediterranean Sea, and the boxes crushed people as they fell from the sky.
Even when the drops were successful “this was anarchy”, he said. “People were fighting on help. People were getting injured.”
And there are fear within Gaza about fear. The BBC on Saturday spoke to several ghazans, who worried the drops, could lead to “serious disadvantages”.
A person living in the north of the strip told the Middle East daily of the BBC Arabic that the process is “unsafe” and “has caused many tragedies”.
“When the aid is dropped from the air, it risk landing directly on the tent, potentially causing severe damage, including injury or death,” he said.
Meanwhile, Palestinians are struggling with dehydration with starvation. A mother told the BBC that she was “living with food or drinking, no food, no bread, not even water.
“We are craving water too,” he said.
Israel launched a war in Gaza on 7 October 2023 in response to a Hamas -led attack on Southern Israel, killing around 1,200 people and 251 others were taken hostage.
According to the Hamas-Interacted Health Ministry, more than 59,000 people have been killed in Gaza since then.
Israel blocked the aid delivery in early March and resumed its military aggressive against Hamas two weeks later, collapsing a two -month ceasefire. It said that it wanted to pressurize the group to release the remaining Israeli hostages.
Although the blockade was partially reduced after about two months amid a warm famine warning from global experts, food, therapy and fuel deficiency have deteriorated.
Most of Gaza’s population has been displaced several times and is estimated to be damaged or destroyed in more than 90% of homes.