The number of people at Donald Trump’s controversial immigrant preventive center “Elegator Alkatraz” has declined by half after the order of a judge, which is to close the order of the Judge.
Citing internal emails between the officials of American media, Florida, reports that the center may be empty within “days”.
This feature is located deep in the marshy Florida Everglades – in July opened to support the large -scale exile drive of the Trump administration.
This quickly attracted several legal challenges on the UNESCO World Heritage Site, the delicate ecosystem of Everglades on alleged poor conditions and environmental damage.
Last week, a federal judge issued an initial prohibitory orders, preventing the expansion of the convenience, and ordered to injure their operations, in which all the detainees were transferred within 60 days.
In response to a BBC question at the White House on Thursday, Homan confirmed that the number of prisoners had fallen by half after the ruling.
He did not say how many remained, but the complex was originally designed to catch 3,000 people.
Homan said, “I disagree with that decision.” “I went there. I went to areas in custody. I saw a clean, well -maintained facility.”
He also defended medical facilities at the Detention Center, called it “better than many American citizens”, and said that it includes landing pads for helicopters that take prisoners to a nearby trauma center. Homan also dismissed any environmental concerns over his waste management.
During a press briefing at the White House on Thursday, Press Secretary Karolin Lewitt said that the administration would follow the court orders, but it would not be “back down”.
He said, “We have always said that we will continue to fight in the court of law.” “We feel that it is inferior that a worker judge has put himself in this migrant preventive facility.”
Levit stated that the migrants were “unnecessary burden” on the homeland security officers and agents after the court’s decision, which “should remove those criminals from our community”.
According to the e-mail exchange viewed by media outlets including AP and New York Times, Florida Division of Emergency Management Executive Director Kevin Guthari had estimated at the end of last week that crocodile Alkatraz was going down to 0 persons within a few days “.
While the judge’s decision gave a blow to the exile campaign of the Trump administration, other temporary facilities are being built in several Republican -led states. This includes a second feature in Florida called “Exile Depot”, and another in Indiana named “Speedway Samer” by Homeland Security Officers.
Homan stated that “Elegator Alkatraz” was a “great transitional feature”, but he did not see it as a long -term solution.
“I think snow [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] More brick-and-mortars are needed [facilities]”He told reporters.” We have now received money for the construction of infrastructure …. permanent facilities. ,
It was pressurized by reporters whether the entire project was a waste of resources in view of the judge’s decision, “No” said “no”.
On July 4, President Trump’s huge budget bill signed in the law offers $ 45BN (£ 33.3BN) for extended detention centers, some analysts said that 116,000 can make several funds as new beds.
The bill allocated an additional $ 170BN towards immigration enforcement and border security, including $ 75BN for ice to enforce and exile in the US interior.